Treatments for mesothelioma focus on trying to remove the malignancy and prevent it from spreading while promoting the best quality of life for patients. The sooner the proper treatments are administered to mesothelioma patients, the better their prognoses (and quality of life) will usually be.
Get Important Answers & Advice about Your Potential Mesothelioma Claim
Call (877) 892-2797, Text (281) 612-8024 or Email Our Firm
for Your FREE, No Obligations Case Evaluation
The Amaro Law Firm offers FREE mobile and virtual consultations to share important answers and helpful advice regarding mesothelioma claims and recovery options.
Standard Mesothelioma Treatment Options
While there is currently no cure for mesothelioma, there are a range of standard treatment options that can be effective at managing the malignancy and its potentially debilitating symptoms. Typically, treatment plans for mesothelioma are personalized for a specific patient, based on:
- The type and stage of the condition – These factors can impact the location of the malignancy and whether the condition has spread (metastasized). Multiple and/or more aggressive treatments may be necessary when the condition has progressed to later stages and/or metastasized.
- The age and overall health of the mesothelioma patient – Special treatment plans may be necessary for older mesothelioma patients and/or those who may be living with other conditions.
Standard treatments for mesothelioma can include any combination of the following:
- Radiation – Radiation can shrink malignancies and potentially stop them from growing. Consequently, radiation may be used before surgery (to reduce the size of a tumor before attempting to surgically remove it) and/or after surgery (to prevent any remaining malignancies from growing).
- Surgery – Surgery can remove tumors, as well as parts (or the entirety) of malignant tissues and/or organs. Generally, surgery is a better, more viable treatment option in earlier stages of mesothelioma and/or when a patient is not in poor health (independent of the mesothelioma). In some cases, surgery may be recommended to reduce pain, alleviate certain debilitating symptoms and/or improve quality of life (i.e., serving as a form of palliative care, which is discussed more below).
- Chemotherapy – Chemotherapy can target and destroy cancerous cells. It may be used in conjunction with either or both of the above treatment options. There are various chemotherapy drugs available (both intravenous and oral medications), and the right combination of chemotherapy medications will depend on the patient, as well as the nature and severity of the mesothelioma.
Other Mesothelioma Treatment Options
In addition to standard mesothelioma treatments, other options that may benefit patients can include (and are not limited to):
- Clinical Trials – Typically taking place in cancer clinics and research centers, clinical trials offer new, experimental treatment options for fighting mesothelioma. These can include (and are not necessarily limited to):
- New chemotherapy drugs
- Gene therapy
- Alternative Treatments – These may provide some physical and/or psychological relief for mesothelioma patients and can include:
- Physical therapy
- Art therapy.
- Palliative Care – Commonly used in conjunction with standard mesothelioma treatments, this option focuses on relieving painful, debilitating symptoms and improving the quality of life for mesothelioma patients (rather than fighting the malignancy). Some forms of palliative care can include:
- Pain medications
- Other medications (such as depression or anxiety medication).
While cancer specialists can develop the best personalized treatment plans for mesothelioma patients, an experienced attorney can be essential for helping patients (and/or their families) figure out and pursue their best legal options for financial recovery.
Find Out More about Your Potential Claim & Legal Options: Contact a Mesothelioma Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
A mesothelioma lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to evaluate your claim and help with your claim.
Call (877) 892-2797, text (281) 612-8024 or email our firm for your FREE consultation. Taking this single step can be pivotal to getting the information and guidance necessary to position your mesothelioma claim for any possible recovery.
At the Amaro Law Firm, our attorneys have more than two decades of experience representing clients from across the U.S. in various types of mesothelioma claims. Dedicated, insightful and tenacious, we will provide you with the advocacy, support and representation necessary.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of superior representation and success in mesothelioma (and other) claims has earned us glowing testimonials from our former clients, as well as 5-star ratings on Google and Facebook.