Involved In a Slip-and-Fall Accident? 5 Steps to TakeApril 5, 2021
After a slip and fall, it’s essential to:
- Get medical care.
- Take pictures and video of the accident scene.
- Report the incident.
- Follow through with all prescribed medical care.
- Talk to a lawyer.
Here’s why and how each of these steps can help you protect yourself, your rights, and a potential slip-and-fall claim.
5 Steps to Take After a Slip & Fall
Take as many of these steps as possible after a slip-and-fall accident. If you can only take a few of these, the two most important are the first and fifth steps.
Step 1: Get Medical Care.
Call 911 if there’s any possibility of serious injuries. If injuries seem to be more minor, still see a doctor as soon as possible. Getting medical attention after a slip-and-fall accident is critical to ensuring that:
- Your injuries are immediately diagnosed.
- You get prompt treatment to prevent any complications and promote better prognoses.
- The extent of the harm you suffered in the accident is officially documented in your medical records.
Step 2: Take Pictures and Video of the Accident Scene.
If possible, get photos of where the slip and fall happened. Try to capture as many details as possible, like (but not limited to) the:
- Flooring or ground
- Lighting or weather conditions
- Signage or lack of signage
- Safety features or lack of safety features
- Debris, spillages, and/or other hazards
Considering sites of slips and falls can change in the days or weeks after accidents happen, these photos can be especially important to documenting exactly was and wasn’t at the scene when the injury occurred. It is common for premises owners and managers to try and hide evidence after they learn of an injury.
Step 3: Report the Incident.
If there is an on-site authority, like a foreman, a manager, or a landlord:
- Report the slip-and-fall to that person.
- Get his or her name and contact information.
- Ask if any incident report will be created for the accident and, if so, request a copy of the report.
Step 4: Follow Through with All Prescribed Medical Care.
This is crucial to healing and to any future claim you file. Medical care affirms the extent of your injuries and establishes the financial losses to medical bills. It also helps create a picture of the costs of future medical care and treatments.
Step 5: Talk to a Lawyer who provides free consultations on your options.
A slip-and-fall attorney can be an ally and an asset, helping you:
- Understand your rights
- Get the answers you need about your potential claim
- Take the right steps moving forward on the road to recovery.
Hurt in a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
A Houston Personal Injury Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm Can Help You
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a slip and fall or any accident on someone else’s property, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced Houston personal injury lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm. We’re ready to provide you with helpful answers, clear advice, and exceptional representation in the pursuit of justice and financial recovery.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Contact Our Firm
for Your FREE, No-Obligation Consultation
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of outstanding advocacy and success in slip-and-fall and other personal injury cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.