Accidents happen. When accidents are caused by preventable careless or recklessness, victim(s) may be entitled to financial recovery via a personal injury claim.
An Overview of Personal Injury Law
Personal injury law is an area of civil law through with an accident victim (a “plaintiff”) can seek compensation from the party (or parties) responsible for causing the accident. Also referred to as “tort” law, personal injury law is based on the concept of negligence.
Negligence is the failure to take appropriate care to protect others from unreasonable risk of harm.
In a personal injury claim, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant’s negligence caused the accident and harm the plaintiff suffered. This usually involves establishing at least the following fundamental elements of negligence:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care, based on the circumstances.
- The defendant breached that duty by failing to exercise reasonable care.
- The defendant’s failure to use reasonable care caused the plaintiff’s injuries and damages.
Common examples of incidents or events that can be the basis of a personal injury claim include:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including car, truck and motorcycle accidents – Distracted and drunk driving are a few forms of negligence that often contribute to motor vehicle crashes.
- Accidents caused by dangerous or defective products – These products can include anything from faulty auto parts to defective medical devices and dangerous drugs.
- Accidents caused by unsafe or dangerous property – Broken locks, missing stair rungs and a lack of security are examples of the negligence that can make properties dangerous (and increase the risk of these accidents).
- Animal attacks – Dog bites and dog attacks can be the basis of personal injury claims when owners failed to properly leash, watch or contain their dogs.
When these or other accidents caused by negligence inflict harm, the representation of a personal injury lawyer can be incredibly helpful.
Hurt in a Car Accident?
Download this Free eBook for Tips on What to Do after a Car Accident
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
A personal injury attorney can provide important help and support in the aftermath of an accident. In addition to evaluating your case and explaining your options for financial recovery, a personal injury lawyer can help you:
- Protect the value and strength of your claim as you move forward – A lawyer can help you avoid oversights or missteps that could compromise your claim.
- Gather all necessary evidence to prove negligence and liability – This evidence will depend on the specifics of a given claim. Generally, it may include medical records, doctors’ bills, photos, property repair estimates, expert witness testimony, etc.
- Advocate your rights in and outside of court – An experienced attorney will have the skills and knowledge to protect your rights and interests at every phase of your case, including in settlement negotiations and, when necessary, trial.
- Maximize your financial recovery – A lawyer can help you hold all liable parties accountable and pursue all available legal remedies.
Though a lawyer cannot change the past, (s)he can help you in the pursuit of justice and financial recovery. That can be key to reclaiming and restoring your life.
Find Out More about Your Rights & Legal Options: Contact a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
Discover how a Houston personal injury lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm can help you get on the path to justice and recovery.
Call (877) 892-2797 or email us to schedule a free consultation. During this meeting, you can get the answers and information you need to move forward with a potential claim and position it for success.
Comments are closed.