How Long Does a Personal Injury Case Take in Texas?December 27, 2018
Personal injury cases can last months or years, depending on a number of different factors. Typically, the more complex a case is, the longer it may take to resolve.
The following points out the top seven factors that tend to affect how long it takes to resolve personal injury cases. Whenever you need more specific answers about your situation and potential claim, contact the trusted lawyers at the Amaro Law Firm.
7 Factors that Can Impact the Duration of Texas Personal Injury Cases
Generally, these are the key factors impacting the complexity and duration of personal injury cases:
- When medical treatment has been sought – The sooner medical treatment is obtained, the better. The reason is that prompt medical care can yield quick diagnoses. This can benefit both treatment and prognoses while establishing medical reports, diagnostic test results, and other key evidence that can prove the extent and severity of your injuries. If treatment is delayed, insurance companies can gain more leverage in trying to argue that you were not that badly injured and/or that some later event caused the injuries. This can complicate and prolong claims.
- Compliance with medical treatment – Following through with all doctors’ treatments and recommendations can go a long way towards verifying the nature of the injuries sustained. If there are gaps in treatment, again, the case can become more complicated, with insurers downplaying the injuries and/or reducing settlement offers. Again, this can make personal injury cases last longer.
- The number of defendants – In simple cases when there is clearly only one at-fault individual, claims may be resolved relatively quickly (because there won’t be much to argue in terms of fault). When multiple parties share liability, determining how liable each party is can be complicated, usually extending the time it takes to resolve these cases.
Have You Been Hurt by Someone Else’s Negligence?
Get Clear, Helpful Answers about Your Personal Injury Claim
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email Our Firm
for Your FREE, No Obligations Case Evaluation
- The nature of the claim – Not all types of personal injury cases are equal. Some claims tend to be inherently more complicated than others. For example, defective product claims that involve proving manufacturer negligence can be far more complex than drunk driving claims that involve a driver with a history of DUIs. Consequently, the duration of a given claim will depend, at least in part, on the incident, accident, or event at the heart of that claim.
- Whether fault is a point of dispute – When an individual and/or business is clearly at fault and has accepted liability, personal injury cases can usually be resolved much more quickly. In contrast, claims involving disputes over liability can be more complicated and take a longer, as fault will have to be determined before issues regarding financial recovery can be addressed.
- The nature of the injuries and losses suffered – Cases involving less severe, clearly identified injuries and losses, including lost earnings and mental suffering, tend to be on a faster track to resolution than cases involving more extensive, catastrophic, and/or ambiguous damage.
- How soon a lawyer is obtained – The sooner an attorney has been retained to represent you in a personal injury case, the sooner (s)he can get to work helping you take the right steps at every phase. In the early stages of cases, effective legal representation can be invaluable when it comes to avoiding any missteps that could complicate and prolong your case.
A Houston Personal Injury Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm Is Ready to Help You: Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one has been harmed by another’s negligence, contact a Houston personal injury lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm for essential advice regarding a potential claim – and exceptional representation and legal service moving forward.
Call (713) 352-7975 or email our firm for a FREE consultation.
During your FREE, confidential, no obligation consultation, we will answer your questions, address your concerns, and explain how to proceed. Free virtual and mobile consultations are available to anyone who cannot visit our offices.
Since 2005, the Amaro Law Firm has been providing strategic, superior representation and high-quality legal services to clients. We are proud to represent clients in all types of personal injury cases, from motor vehicle accident and work injury cases to product liability claims, premises liability cases and more.
Our longstanding record of excellence, professionalism ,and success is backed up by positive reviews from our former clients, as well as our 5-Star Ratings on Google and Facebook and our Avvo Rating of 10 (out of 10).