According to a report from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), approximately 500,000 trucking accidents occur every year, with 5,000 truck accidents resulting in fatalities. One out of every eight traffic-related fatalities occurs as a result of a truck accident. There are many different circumstances or situations which can cause a devastating truck accident and life-threatening injuries. One of the most common causes of truck accidents is truck driver negligence, with driving under the influence as a close second. There are many preventative measures truck drivers can take to avoid serious accidents. Some of these include:
- Ensuring their truck is properly maintained and certified,
- Adhering to a strict driving discipline and following the regulated hours of service as per Federal Motor Carrier Regulations,
- Keeping an accurate and complete driving log,
- Taking steps to ensure their truck is properly loaded and secured,
- Following the posted and legal speed limit,
- Not driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
- Not engaging in any distractive activities such as eating, texting or talking on the phone while driving,
- Obtaining the necessary training and experience to operate their vehicle, and
- Keeping a safe distance between their truck and the vehicles around them.
Despite efforts by truck drivers, trucking companies or the trucking company’s investigators to hide or limit their liability in an accident, our attorneys have experience handling all manner of truck accident cases and we know how to uncover the negligence and mistakes made by truck drivers, in order to determine the real cause of the accident. When you contact a knowledgeable attorney from our firm, we will closely evaluate your case, review all accident and incident reports, interview key witnesses, do further investigations as needed, and advise you of your legal options. Our firm is committed to protecting the rights of truck accident victims and we are here to provide you with the aggressive and effective representation you require.