Bicycle Law in Texas: What You Need to KnowAugust 20, 2019
Bicyclists in Texas are generally required to follow the same rules of the road as any other motorist. In addition to these rules, bicyclists will also have to comply with other specific laws whenever they’re on Texas roads.1
Here’s an overview of Texas bicycle laws that all riders should know. Understanding and complying with these laws can help you stay safe when riding.
Texas Bicycle Law: Rules of Road for Cyclists
In addition to complying with standard traffic laws, bicyclists in Texas are also legally required to:
- Ride as close to the right side of the road as possible: This means staying safely to the right and avoiding curbs, debris, and obstacles.
- Take the lane of traffic under certain conditions: Cyclists can enter a lane of traffic whenever they’re riding at the same speed as other motorists or they need to pass another vehicle traveling in the same direction. They can also enter a traffic lane when avoiding an obstacle or preparing to make a left-hand turn.
- Use hand signals: When turning left or right—or when slowing down or coming to a stop, riders must use the appropriate hand signal at least 100 feet before they intend to take a certain an action. The only exception to this is if a rider needs to keep his hand on the handlebars to maintain control of the bicycle.
- Comply with all rights-of-way: It’s always safe to assume that, as a bicyclist, you do NOT have the right-of-way. Operating under this assumption, especially at intersections, can go a long way towards avoiding a crash.
- Never attach a bicycle to a vehicle while riding: Towing is illegal and dangerous.
Have You or a Loved One Been Hurt in a Pedestrian Accident?
Call (877) 892-2797 or Contact the Amaro Law Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Consultation
Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Texas
While abiding by Texas bicycle laws can reduce your risk of a bicycle accident whenever you’re riding, you can’t control the actions others on the road. Tragically, the misbehaviors and illegal maneuvers of drivers often cause bike crashes.
Most commonly, the driver actions that end up hurting cyclists on Texas roads include motorists:1
- Making a left-hand turn in front of an oncoming bicycle
- Making a right turn in front of a rider traveling in the same direction
- Failing to yield the right-of-way to a bicyclist when pulling away from a stop sign or a red light.
Whenever a driver causes a bicycle accident:
- That motorist will be responsible for the resulting injuries and damage.
- A lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm can help the injured, building the strongest possible claim to help the injured rider recover.
Hurt in a Bicycle Accident? A Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm Can Help You
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bicycle accident or any traffic crash, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced Houston bicycle accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm. We’re ready to provide you with clear advice and exceptional advocacy while we help you navigate the road to recovery.
Call (877) 892-2797 or Email Our Firm for Your FREE, No-Obligation Consultation
Free mobile and virtual consultations are available to those who cannot visit our offices. We also invite you to download this free ebook for helpful tips on how to protect your potential claim.
At the Amaro Law Firm, we know how devastating traffic crashes can be, whether you’re a bicyclist, a pedestrian, or a motorist. We also know crucial legal advocacy is to a successful claim and recovery. That’s why we’re dedicated to helping the injured maximize their compensation so they can focus on restoring their life.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of outstanding representation and success in traffic accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.