How to Find the Right Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Claim: 10 Things to DoJanuary 4, 2021
To find and hire the right personal injury attorney for your case:
- Ask for referrals.
- Review the lawyer’s or law firm’s website.
- Research lawyers’ standing with the state bar.
- Check out online reviews.
- Meet your top three options for a consultation.
- Talk about expectations.
- Verify a lawyer’s specialties and record of success.
- Ask questions.
- Test the attorney’s callback responsiveness.
- Review the contracts.
Here’s more on what each step involves and how it’s essential to helping you retain the best personal injury lawyer for your case.
10 Steps to Finding & Retaining the Best Personal Injury Attorney for Your Case
When it’s time to file a personal injury case, these steps can help you find a qualified, experienced lawyer who can help you set your case up for success and the maximum recovery available.
Step 1: Ask for Referrals.
Have your loved ones or trusted colleagues hired a personal injury lawyer? Do they have any recommendations? It never hurts to ask. People in your circles may have already worked with an attorney and can provide some helpful insights as you’re looking for a lawyer.
Step 2: Review the Lawyer’s or Law Firm’s Website.
Search online for local personal injury lawyers and check out some websites. Look for lawyers and law firms that handle cases just like yours.
Remember, personal injury law is a vast field, and not every personal injury attorney handles every type of claim. Your best options will be attorneys who routinely represent people in cases like yours.
Step 3: Research Lawyers’ Standing with the State Bar.
Once you’ve found a handful of options, check each attorney’s profile with the state bar association. Here’s the Texas State Bar Association’s attorney search tool. This step can help you:
- Verify a lawyer’s credentials and specialties.
- Find an attorney who speaks a specific language.
- See if an attorney has ever had any censures or official complaints.
Step 4: Check Out Online Reviews.
Look on a lawyer’s website, as well as third-party review sites, like Google, Facebook, and industry sites, like Avvo. These reviews can tell you more about the experience you can expect when working with a particular attorney.
For instance, reviews can reveal more about how responsive, compassionate, and helpful an attorney may be throughout a case. Testimonials can also give you insight regarding a lawyer’s track record of success.
Step 5: Meet Your Top Three Options for a Consultation.
Research can tell you a lot about different lawyers, but it’ll never give you the full picture. The best way to really get a feel for a particular personal injury lawyer is by meeting and talking with them during an over-the-phone or in-person consultation. This meeting can help you get:
- The answers you need about your claim and the lawyer
- A better feel for the lawyer and how (s)he will interact with you moving forward.
Good personal injury attorneys usually offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose—and a lot to potentially gain—by taking advantage of this free meeting to get to know lawyers you’re considering.
Step 6: Talk about Expectations.
When you meet with lawyers, make your expectations clear from the get-go. This includes expectations about:
- How your case will be resolved
- When or if you may be willing to settle
- The frequency and type of communication you prefer about your case
- Anything else you may be concerned about.
If an attorney can’t meet these expectations, it’s best to know that up front so that you can find a lawyer who’s on the same page as you.
Step 7: Verify a Lawyer’s Specialties & Record of Success.
During your consultation with an attorney, ask the lawyer about his or her specialties and:
- How long the attorney has handled cases like yours
- The lawyer’s record of success with cases like yours
- The attorney’s professional opinion about your case and its likely outcome
You’ll want to choose a lawyer who specializes in your type of case and has experience in successfully resolving cases like yours.
Step 8: Ask Questions.
Make a list of questions before your meeting with a lawyer so you can get all of the answers you need during your consultation. Some helpful questions to ask include (and aren’t limited to):
- Will you be handling my case through its resolution or will my case be passed off?
- What will you do to get my case started?
- What are your fees and when is payment due?
Step 9: Test the Attorney’s Callback Responsiveness.
After meeting with lawyers for an initial consultation, contact your top choices and see how quickly they respond to your call. You want an attorney who will be responsive to you and your case, and this step is a good test for that.
Step 10: Review the Contracts.
Ultimately, you should go with an attorney who:
- Has experience and a record of successfully resolving cases like yours
- Is responsive and communicative
- You trust and makes you feel comfortable.
Once you select the lawyer who fulfills these requirements, make sure you go over your contract carefully so there are no surprises about the terms of representation.
Set Your Case Up for Success: Contact a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been victimized by another’s negligence, you can get exceptional representation and advocacy from a Houston personal injury lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm. We are ready to partner with you in the pursuit of recovery and justice.
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, our experienced attorneys are known for outstanding representation, personal service, and results. We know how to stand up to any opponent, protecting our clients’ rights while working relentlessly to maximize their financial recoveries.
While we know that money cannot erase the impacts of serious accidents and injuries, compensation from personal injury claims can help people heal and restore their lives.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in all types of personal injury cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.