Parking garages are everywhere, from malls and medical facilities to schools, stadiums, and more. As banal as they may seem, parking garages can present some unique risks and dangers to drivers and pedestrians alike.
In many cases, these dangers are the product of someone’s careless or reckless actions. When they are—and when they cause accidents and harm, victims can have options for seeking justice and holding the negligent party accountable.
At the Amaro Law Firm, our attorneys are committed to helping negligence victims who have been hurt in parking garages. If you or a loved one has been hurt in any type of parking garage accident or incident, don’t hesitate to contact the Amaro Law Firm for help. We’re ready to explain your right and your legal options for recovering.
Hurt in a Parking Garage Accident?
Call (713) 352-7975 or Contact the Amaro Law Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Case Evaluation
What Makes Parking Garages Unsafe?
Any one or combination of the following factors can make parking garages dangerous places where people get hurt:
- Poor design: A poorly designed parking garage may cause congestion, hinder the flow of traffic, or lack clear areas for pedestrian crossings. Poor design can also result in dangerous driveways, blind spots, and other hazards that increase the risk of accidents.
- Poor lighting: Since parking garages are largely enclosed spaces, lighting is essential to helping people safely navigate them. Without sufficient illumination, pedestrians and drivers are far more likely to overlook important cues in their surroundings. Additionally, a lack of lighting can create expansive shadows and dark spots where criminal activity, like assaults and theft, are far more likely to occur.
- A lack of security: An absence of security guards, security cameras, and other security features can be conducive to illegal activities, whether that’s texting while driving, speeding, or crime itself.
- A lack of signage: Drivers and pedestrians depend on signage in parking garages to let them know the direction and flow of traffic, the location of entrances and exits, and other important information. Without sufficient signage, people may make unsafe assumptions, sudden maneuvers, and do other risky things that can cause accidents.
- Drivers: Motorists may speed, use their cellphones, drive the wrong way down aisles, and do other reckless things in parking garages, especially when they assume they’re alone. Any of these misbehaviors can anyone around them in danger.
While these perils can contribute to car and pedestrian accidents, they can also lead to criminal activity. In both cases, people can end up seriously hurt, with lasting injuries, psychological scars, and costly property damage.
How to Avoid Accidents & Injuries in Parking Garages: 5 Parking Garage Safety Tips
- Stay alert: Whether you’re driving or walking, be attentive to your surroundings. Look for signs and avoid using your cellphone.
- Take it slow: When driving in parking garages, never speed. In fact, it’s usually smart to take it a bit slower than the posted speed limit, especially when there are more vehicles and pedestrians around.
- Park close to the entrance: This can limit the amount of walking you have to do in parking garages. While parking close to the entrance may make it easier to remember where your vehicle is, it can also help you avoid the additional dangers that may come with moving vehicles in the garage.
- Make a note of where you park: This can help you avoid wandering and looking around, either of which can put you in danger.
- Act defensively: Whether you’re a pedestrian or a driver in a parking garage, assume that others around you won’t follow the rules. This can help you take extra precautions and be ready to react if or when others make dangerous moves.
While your actions can do a lot to keep you safe in parking garages, accidents and injuries still happen. When they do, you can rely on the Amaro Law Firm for help:
- Understanding your legal options
- Identifying each and every party that’s liable for your injuries, losses, and suffering
- Advocating your rights to recovery.
Set Your Parking Garage Accident Claim Up for Success: Contact the Amaro Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a parking garage accident, it’s time to contact the Amaro Law Firm. It only takes a call or a click to learn more about your potential claim and take the first step on the road to recovery.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Contact Us for Your FREE Consultation
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are Available
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, helping accident victims pursue the justice and recovery they deserve is our top priority. Whether you’ve been hurt by the negligence of a driver, a parking garage owner, or any other party, we’ll work relentlessly to help you seek the justice and compensation you may deserve. The recovery from your claim can be the key to healing and rebuilding your life.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in motor vehicle accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.