Anxiety & Stress: Not So Obvious Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)June 12, 2017
Traumatic brain injuries can be devastating for many reasons. For starters, they can be challenging to diagnose because the symptoms can remain latent for days, if not longer. Another reason is that TBIs are not limited to physical symptoms. They can also have serious emotional and psychological impacts, including anxiety and stress.
Have You or a Loved One Been Diagnosed with a TBI?
Contact Us at the Amaro Law Firm or Call (713) 352-7975 to Learn Your Rights and Legal Options
How TBIs Can Trigger Anxiety & Stress: Examples
Varying in severity and region of the brain affected, mild to severe TBIs alike can cause anxiety and stress. This can be the result of, for example:
- Uncontrollable mood swings
- Chemical imbalances in the brain
- Sleeping problems and persistent fatigue
- New cognitive impairments, such as difficulties thinking, understanding, remembering or focusing
- New physical limitations, such as difficulties balancing, coordinating movement, speaking or controlling the bladder or bowels
- Post-traumatic stress disorder, which can arise after traumatic events (like serious car accidents) cause TBIs.
The anxiety and stress arising from TBIs can be compounded by circumstances like (but limited to):
- Returning to work too soon
- Being exposed to crowded, noisy environments
- Feeling isolated and misunderstood
- Drug or alcohol use
- Struggling with painful and/or debilitating impacts of TBIs, such as headaches, paralysis, or seizures
- Having a TBI misdiagnosed as some other condition
- Not receiving the proper treatment(s) and/or not having a reliable support system during the recovery process.
Signs of TBI-Related Anxiety & Stress
Common signs of anxiety and stress stemming from a TBI include (but may not be restricted to):
- Increased irritability
- Excessive fear and worrying
- Withdrawal from social situations
- Problems concentrating or completing tasks
- Panic attacks.
When brain injury survivors experience these symptoms, seeking medical attention will be crucial for a proper diagnosis and prompt treatment. That, consequently, can be pivotal to improving TBI survivors’ quality of life.
Diagnosing & Treating TBI-Related Anxiety & Stress
Various medical tests and evaluations may be needed to diagnose anxiety and stress caused by a TBI. Some of these include:
- Physical exams
- Blood workups
- Psychological questionnaires and evaluations.
When a TBI survivor is experiencing anxiety and stress, treatment options can include (but may not be limited to):
- Medications, such as antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and sedatives
- Therapy, which can provide emotional support and relief
- Treatment for the other symptoms and complications of TBIs, which can include surgery, physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy
- Certain lifestyle changes, such as setting up new daily routines, taking up a new hobby, having regular (and positive) social interactions, and avoiding alcohol or illicit drug use
While TBI survivors can turn to medical professionals for help addressing and overcoming anxiety, stress, and other complications, they can rely on legal professionals – like the attorneys at the Amaro Law Firm – for help with their financial recovery.
Pursuing the available legal remedies can help TBI survivors and their families:
- Cover the costs of treatment and focus on healing
- Alleviate financial stresses that can arise from lost income (coupled with medical bills)
- Hold those who caused the TBI accountable, which can provide some sense of justice and closure.
Get Answers about Your Legal Recovery Options: Contact a Houston Brain Injury Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a TBI, contact a Houston brain injury lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm by calling (713) 352-7975 or Emailing Us. We are ready to explain your rights and legal options during a free consultation. We are also ready to help you get on the path to financial recovery.
Resourceful and relentless, our attorneys have the skills and insight you can rely on for superior advocacy and the best possible outcome to your claim.
Our record of success has earned us 5-star ratings on Google and Facebook.