Your Recovery Options If You’re Hurt In a Crash Caused by an Uninsured DriverFebruary 12, 2019
More than 14 percent of Texas motorists are uninsured. 1 That means that at least 1 in every 7 drivers in Texas is on the road without any auto insurance coverage.
So what happens if one of those uninsured drivers causes a car crash that hurts you?
If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage as part of your car insurance policy, you can file a claim with your insurer. Here’s how it works…
UM/UIM Coverage & Claims: How They Work
UM/UIM coverage is optional, not mandatory, in Texas.2 It’s specifically designed to provide protection when uninsured or underinsured drivers cause wrecks. Offering coverage up to the limits of your liability policy, UM/UIM policies typically cover:
- Bodily injury – This can include medical expenses, disability, lost wages, and suffering. It usually has no deductible.
- Property damage – This can cover vehicle repair costs, rental car expenses, and the cost of replacing any other property damaged in the crash. It usually has a mandatory $250 deductible.
All insurance companies that provide auto insurance in Texas are legally required to offer UM/UIM coverage to policyholders. Those who want to opt out of this coverage must do so in writing.
In general, you can make a claim against your UM/UIM policy when:
- You are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver when you are driving or when you are a passenger.
- You are the victim of a hit-and-run accident.
- Your family members – or someone else who you have permitted to drive your vehicle – are hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver or are the victims of a hit and run.
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured by an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist?
Were You Hurt in a Hit-and-Run Car Accident?
You can also call (713) 352-7975 or contact the Amaro Law Firm for a free, confidential, no obligation consultation and crucial answers about your legal options. Free mobile and virtual consultations are available to those who cannot visit our offices.
How a Lawyer Can Help You with a UM/UIM Claim
An attorney at the Amaro Law Firm can help you with a UM/UIM claim by doing things like (but not exclusive to):
- Explaining the available legal remedies & what to expect as you proceed – Depending on the circumstances of your crash, you may have multiple claims. We can point out all options for recovery so you can pursue the full amount of compensation to which you are entitled. We’ll also clarify what you can expect throughout the claims process so you are prepared for each stage.
- Handling your claim – Our attorneys will take care of all the administrative work necessary to initiate and advance your claim. We will make sure that your claim is properly filed within the necessary deadlines. We will also manage the claim and deal with the insurer(s) on your behalf.
- Advocating your rights & protecting the value of your claim – The unfortunate reality is that your insurer is not necessarily out to protect you or your interests during the claims process. Instead, insurers usually prioritize their profits, commonly at the expense of policyholders. This can mean that you face an uphill battle when filing a claim with your insurance company.
With past experience in insurance defense, the lawyers at the Amaro Law Firm know precisely how insurance companies try to avoid paying valid claims – and how to effectively combat their tactics so our clients can obtain the benefits they deserve.
A Houston Car Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm Can Set Your UM/UIM Claim Up for Success: Contact Us
If you or a loved one has been hurt by an uninsured or underinsured driver – or if you’ve been harmed in a hit-and-run accident or any type of motor vehicle crash, you can turn to an experienced Houston car accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm for exceptional representation in the pursuit of justice and financial recovery.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Contact our Firm for Your FREE Consultation.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of outstanding advocacy and success in car accident cases has earned us 5-star ratings on Google and Facebook, as well as glowing testimonials from former clients.
1: According to findings from the Insurance Information Institute