Pursuing Full, Fair Recoveries for Those Harmed in Tractor-Trailer Accidents
Wichita Falls, Texas
, promises “Blue Skies and Golden Opportunities,” but it’s also the site of thousands of motor vehicle accidents every year. In fact, every day, at least 5 traffic collisions are happening on Southwest Pkwy, Valley View Road, Hwy 82, and other roads in Wichita Falls. That’s according to the latest statistics
, which also reveal that wrecks in the area have soared by nearly 21% over the last decade.
As grim as those facts may be, they don’t even begin to touch on the impacts of these crashes, especially the ones involving semi-trucks. When those crashes happen, victims need answers about their rights and legal options. They can start getting that information here, in the FAQs below.
To get more answers about a potential tractor-trailer accident claim and the best path forward, reach out to a Wichita Falls truck accident lawyer.
How Do I Know If I Have a Case After a Truck Accident in Wichita Falls, TX?
Whether you have a claim will depend on a few key issues, including (but not limited to) liability, damages, and the statute of limitations. Here are few questions that start to reveal more about each of these issues. When you’re ready to discuss the details of your crash and find out for sure whether you have a case, meet with an attorney to get more answers.
When Did Your Accident Happen?
Generally, you have 2 years from the date of the crash — or the date on which the injuries were diagnosed, or they caused death — to file a claim in Texas. If that statute of limitations passes, you may lose your chance to file a case against the negligent parties.
What Injuries Were Caused by the Wreck?
The specific diagnoses, when they were made, and how they were treated are all important here. To that end, medical records and bills will also typically be key when evaluating the viability, strength, and value of truck accident cases. If there’s no way to prove what type of injuries and damage a tractor-trailer crash caused, it can be challenging, if not impossible, to secure compensation for a claim.
Who’s Liable for the Tractor-Trailer Accident?
You may have a claim if you were not primarily at fault for causing the crash. While you can share liability, any recovery in these cases would be reduced proportionally to your level of fault. Here, it’s essential to understand that:
- You should not assume insurance companies will play fair or make proper determinations when it comes to fault.
- Police reports can help with liability determinations. If the Wichita Falls Police Department (WFPD) responded to your wreck, you can request a copy of the police report here.
- Having someone in your corner, looking at all the available evidence and helping you take a critical look at questionable fault determinations, can be important to preserving your rights to full, fair compensation after a big rig accident in Wichita Falls, TX.
Should I Accept a Truck Accident Settlement?
Do not sign anything, cash any checks, or say you’ll accept a settlement offer until you have carefully reviewed it with a Wichita Falls truck accident lawyer. No matter how big an offer may look on paper, going over the details with an attorney can help you figure out:
- If the offer is truly fair or whether it falls short
- Exactly where the offer may have short-changed you
- The best ways to negotiate
- When it may be time to take your case to court
With 18-wheeler accident settlements, it’s also vital to remember that:
- Insurance companies use various tactics to try to get you to agree to a low settlement: They may draw out the investigation to try to make you more willing to take a low offer. They could also send you a check, and if you cash it, you’ve implicitly accepted an offer. In other cases, they’ll blame the victim, misreading evidence or limiting their investigations to try to convince victims they’re at least partly to blame.
- You never have to take an unfair offer: No matter what the insurance company says, you are not obligated to accept an offer you are not comfortable with. So, don’t let them muscle you into taking an offer you don’t think is fair or adequate, especially if you haven’t had the chance to review it with a lawyer.
- An attorney can stand up to insurance companies for you: A good Wichita Falls truck accident lawyer can push back when insurance companies try to undervalue or deny claims. In fact, an attorney will know how to effectively counteract insurers’ tactics to protect victims’ rights and claims.
When Should I Contact a Wichita Falls Truck Accident Lawyer?
Call or email a Wichita Falls truck accident attorney as soon as you can. The longer you wait, the less time you’ll have to file a claim. That could run the risk of evidence going missing or mistakes being made, which could hurt your potential case — and your chances for recovery.