Why & How Is the Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper Deadly?November 14, 2019
Since 2011, the Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper has been linked to 32 infant deaths. In many cases, the features of this inclined sleeper reportedly contributed to the fatal injuries.
Although this crib may look harmless, Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleepers can increase the risk of asphyxia due to their:
- Steep sides, which babies can dangerously roll up against
- Loose restraints, allowing babies to roll over onto their stomachs
- Attached pillow headrests, which can suffocate babies who roll over in the bed
Parents and caregivers who own Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleepers should:
- Immediately stop using these cribs
- Continue reading to learn more about the dangers of these cribs, as well as their legal rights.
How Many Babies Have Been Hurt by the Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper
In addition to the 32 fatal injuries babies have suffered, at least 700 others have reportedly been hurt by Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleepers. Some of the most common injuries associated with these cribs include:
- Complications from oxygen deprivation: While the features of the Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper can suffocate babies, so too can the position the inclined bed puts the baby in. The 30˚ tilt increases the risk of babies’ heads rolling into dangerous positions that could cut off their windpipes.
- Neck injuries: When infants’ heads roll into unsafe positions, their fragile necks can be strained and damaged. This crib’s loose restraints can also contribute to neck injuries through strangulation.
- Plagiocephaly: This condition involves flatten or deformed areas of a baby’s skull. When infants are held in one position that puts continuous pressure on their soft skulls, like the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper does, the skull shape can deform.
Has Your Child Been Harmed by Fisher-Price’s Rock n’ Play Sleeper?
Have You or a Loved One Been Hurt by Any Dangerous Product?
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email Our Firm
for Your FREE, Confidential, No Obligations Consultation
During a FREE case evaluation, we will review your potential claim and explain your legal options. We offer free virtual and mobile consultations, and we proudly represent clients from across the U.S. in all types of dangerous product cases.
Did Fisher-Price Know the Rock ‘n Play Sleepers Were Deadly?
That’s not completely clear at this time. Ongoing investigations may discover the answer to that soon.
What is apparent, however, are the facts that:
- Fisher-Price did NOT conduct any clinical research when developing the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper. Instead, when designing this crib, Fisher-Price only consulted with a single physician who eventually had his medical license revoked.
- Fisher-Price did NOT follow long-standing guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) regarding safe sleeping practices for infants. The inclined aspect of the crib is one of the various features that goes against the AAP’s recommendations.2
- Fisher-Price DID continue to sell the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper after receiving reports of infant deaths and the alleged life-threatening risks associated with this crib.3
What Has Fisher-Price Said?
Fisher-Price denies any problems with the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper. In an official statement, the general manager at Fisher-Price, Chuck Scothon, contended that Sleeper meets all “applicable safety standards” and that the “safety of children is our highest priority.”
The statement also stated that:
It is essential that the product warnings and instructions are always followed… We will continue to do all we can to ensure that parents and caregivers have the information necessary to create a safe sleep environment for infants.4
Despite its stance, Fisher-Price remains under a lot of fire, facing several lawsuits over the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper.
Do I Have a Claim Against Fisher-Price If My Baby Was Hurt in a Rock ‘n Play Sleeper?
A dangerous products attorney at the Amaro Law Firm can answer this question for you and explain your best options for moving forward.
Many parents whose infants who have been harmed by Rock ‘n Play Sleepers:
- Do have claims against Fisher-Price
- Can take legal action to hold the company liable
- May be entitled to financial recovery for their infant’s medical bills, suffering, and more.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email Our Firm
for Your FREE, Confidential, No-Obligation Consultation
At the Amaro Law Firm, our dangerous product attorneys are dedicated to helping the victims of negligence pursue the justice they deserve. We are ready to discuss your situation, explain your legal options, and provide you with exceptional advocacy.
Experienced, strategic, and tireless, our lawyers can help you navigate every step of the recovery process. We can also set your case up for the best possible resolution. While money can’t reverse your baby’s injuries, it can help cover critical medical treatments for your infant as your family focuses on healing.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence in dangerous products cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.
1: According to authorities at the Consumer Product Safety Commission
2: AAP infant sleeping recommendations & statement against the Rock ‘n Play Sleeper
3: According to findings from a Washington Post investigation
4: According to a report from CNN