When Uninsured Motorists Cause Car Accidents: A Look at Your Recovery OptionsAugust 9, 2017
While car crashes can be damaging on a lot of levels, the aftermath can be even more distressing when the at-fault driver is uninsured. The good news, however, is that you may still have options for recovering compensation for your crash-related injuries and losses.
Hurt in a Car Crash?
Download this Free eBook for Helpful Tips on How to Protect Your Car Crash Claim
We also invite you to contact the Amaro Law Firm for a free case evaluation and more answers about your recovery options. Mobile and virtual consultations are available for those who cannot travel to our offices.
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) Insurance: The Facts
UM/UIM insurance is optional coverage that comes into play when:
- You are the driver or a passenger in a vehicle hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- Your family members or someone who you have let drive your vehicle has been hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- You, a family member or someone who you have let drive your vehicle has been the victim of a hit-and-run accident.
This coverage can include UM/UIM for:
- Bodily injury to pay for medical treatments, as well as disability and lost income
- Property damage to pay for vehicle repairs, as well as the replacement of any property destroyed by the crash.
Although Texas law does not require motorists to have UM/UIM coverage (as part of the required minimum auto insurance coverage), it does mandate that:
- Insurance providers offer this coverage to policyholders.
- If a policyholder wants to opt out of this coverage, (s)he must do so in writing.
- UM/UIM coverage can only be obtained up to the limits of the liability policy.
Filing a UM/UIM Claim: How an Attorney Can Help
Having UM/UIM coverage can be important to protecting yourself and your family when certain types of auto accidents happen. This coverage, however, does NOT guarantee you compensation.
That’s because insurance providers are not on your side, looking out for your rights or interests, during the claims process.
Instead, insurers are generally focused on protecting their own interests and profits – and that commonly comes at the expense of accident victims. For example, insurers can try to challenge UM/UIM claims by alleging that the policyholder was actually at fault for the wreck.
In these situations, the counsel and representation of an experienced attorney – like a Houston car accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm – can be crucial. That’s because a lawyer can be your advocate throughout the claims and recovery process by:
- Collecting all of the documents and other evidence needed to build you a strong claim
- Managing and meeting all claim-related deadlines
- Negotiating with insurance companies while ensuring they don’t try to compromise your rights or claim
- Appealing wrongful denials of claims
- Not backing down until you receive the compensation you’re entitled to.
Get Experienced Help with Your Claim: Contact a Houston Car Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
A Houston car accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to discuss your potential claim and point out your recovery options.
Call (877) 892-2797, text (281) 612-8024 or email our firm for a free consultation.
At Amaro Law Firm, we are proud to represent everyday citizens who face an uphill battle against insurance companies. With previous experience in insurance defense, we know exactly how the insurance business works, what strategies these companies employ and how to effectively combat them.
With the Amaro Law Firm on your side, you can count on having tireless, effective advocacy while we work diligently to help you maximize your financial recovery.