In an Accident with Someone Who Doesn’t Have Insurance? What You Should DoOctober 8, 2019
A car accident is always bad news. And that bad news can get much worse when someone involved in the crash doesn’t have auto insurance coverage.
Whenever that happens, here’s what you can do to safeguard your rights and a potential claim for recovery.
8 Steps to Take after an Accident with an Uninsured Driver
- Call the police: If there’s any property damage or injuries, it’s always in your best interest to call the police. That’s because a police investigation will lead to a police report, which can serve as essential evidence later. Additionally, police can help the injured get help, they can guide traffic while the investigation occurs, and they can remove debris from the scene.
- Do NOT agree to accept cash: Uninsured drivers (or any involved party) may be eager try to pay you some cash upfront so that you don’t go through your insurance company. Do NOT accept cash from anyone. This can have legal implications later, and it may impact the viability and strength of a future claim.
- Get medical attention immediately: If you’re seriously hurt, get emergency care. Otherwise, make sure you see a doctor as soon as possible after you leave the accident scene. This is crucial to documenting the nature and severity of your injuries.
Have You or a Loved One Been Injured by an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist?
Were You Hurt in a Hit-and-Run Car Accident?
Download this Free eBook for Helpful Tips on
How to Protect a Car Crash Claim
You can also call (877) 892-2797 or contact the Amaro Law Firm for a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation and crucial answers about your legal options. Free mobile and virtual consultations are available to those who cannot visit our offices.
- Exchange information with the others: Collect names, contact information, driver’s license numbers, license plate numbers, and details about vehicle makes and models. If you write this info down, it’s always a good idea to email it to yourself too, so you have a backup record and quick access to this info whenever you need it in the future.
- Gather your additional information: Record details about when the accident happened and the accident scene itself. Note the date, time, and location of the crash, as well as the weather conditions, the badge number of the responding officer(s), and other details you find noteworthy. Consider emailing these details to yourself as well.
- Take lots of pictures: Photograph as much of the accident scene and damage as you can. Take multiple shots from different angles, and include any surrounding debris from the accident, as well as damage to nearby features, like signposts. Emailing photos to yourself is also a smart idea, so they’re easy to access and share the in future when needed.
- Reviewing your insurance policy: Verify whether you have uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. If you didn’t explicitly opt-out of this coverage in writing, you likely DO have UM/UIM coverage (if you took your policy out in Texas). Whether or not you can determine what coverage you have after looking at your policy, make sure you take the following step.
- Contact the Amaro Law Firm for a free consultation: Our attorneys can explain your rights, options, and coverage after going over the facts of your case. We can also help you navigate every step on the road towards financial recovery. The truth is that, even if you have UM/UIM coverage, you may still face an uphill battle pursuing a claim with your own insurance company. Our attorneys know the insurance game, and we know how to diffuse insurers’ tactics to help our clients get the compensation they deserve.
Get More Answers & Exceptional Advocacy: Contact a Houston Car Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
After an accident with an uninsured driver, contact the Amaro Law Firm. Our top-rated Houston car accident lawyers are ready to partner with you in the pursuit of recovery and justice.
Call (877) 892-2797 or Email Us for Your FREE Consultation
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are Available
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, our attorneys have deep knowledge of how insurance companies work and how to effectively stand up to them. We’re dedicated to helping accident victims navigate the claim and recovery process so they can focus on healing and rebuilding their lives.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in motor vehicle accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.