What to Do After a Parking Lot AccidentOctober 17, 2019
No one ever expects to be involved in a parking lot accident. When these accidents happen, though, knowing what to do—and taking the right steps—afterward can help you:
- Protect your rights
- Start gathering key evidence while it’s available
- Avoid doing anything that could compromise a potential claim and recovery.
Given that about 1 in every 5 motor vehicle accidents happens in a parking lot,1 make sure you know what to after these crashes happen.
If, however, you or a loved one has already been hurt in a parking lot accident, simply contact the Amaro Law Firm to get the answers and help you need. We’re here for you, ready to help you navigate the road to recovery.
7 Things to Do After a Parking Lot Accident
- Get out of harm’s way: Move out of the path of traffic, so you can evaluate your injuries and collect yourself. Check to see if anyone else involved has been seriously injured, and help them get to safety if you can. The first priority after any parking lot accident should be preventing more harm and helping the injured.
- Call police: Call 911 if there’s been a serious injury. If not, call a non-emergency police number. Police can help the injured get the medical care they need, as well as investigate the accident. Plus, the accident reports they write can contain evidence that’s essential to determining and proving fault for a future claim.
Hurt in a Parking Lot Accident?
Call (713) 352-7975 or Contact the Amaro Law Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Case Evaluation
- Get medical attention: Get emergency treatment for severe injuries. If your injuries seem to be less serious, see a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. In fact, even if you don’t feel hurt, it’s important to see a doctor. That’s because:
- Some injuries, like brain injuries, may not present symptoms right after an accident. Instead, it may take hours or days for some injuries to become apparent.
- A doctor can document and diagnose the nature of the injuries sustained. This can be important when it’s time to prove the extent of the damage caused by a parking lot accident.
- The sooner injuries are diagnosed, the sooner they can be treated. And that can mean better outcomes.
- Get information: Whenever possible, try to collect information from the other involved parties and any witnesses to the accident. Note their names, contact information, and what they tell you. For drivers, record their vehicle, driver’s license, and insurance information. Other information that can be helpful to document after a parking lot accident can include (and is not limited to):
- Take pictures: Get pictures of the accident scene as a whole, the damage, and the surrounding features in the parking lot, like landscaping, signage, pavement conditions, lighting, and more. The pictures you can show crucial details that may do a lot to establishing fault.
- Report the accident: Call your insurance company and report the accident. Do NOT state anything other than the facts you’re completely certain about. Also, do NOT agree to give a recorded statement if you’re not ready to talk about the accident, and NEVER admit blame or fault. Insurers are NOT looking for you after an accident, and anything you tell them can be used to deny or reduce your claim.
- Get answers about your rights and potential claim from the Amaro Law Firm: While you can’t trust insurers after a parking lot accident, you can trust the Houston attorneys at the Amaro Law Firm. We are devoted to advocating victims’ rights and helping them successfully navigate the road to recovery and justice.
Taking these steps can be the key to getting the justice and financial recovery you may deserve. If you’re severely injured in a crash, however, and you can only take one step after a parking lot accident, the single most important thing to do is contact the Amaro Law Firm.
Discover More About Your Rights to Recovery: Contact the Amaro Law Firm
The Houston parking lot accident lawyers at the Amaro Law Firm are the allies and advocates you can trust when it’s time to recover from a parking lot accident. We can explain your rights and what you need to do moving forward to set your claim up for success.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email Us for Your FREE Consultation
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are Available
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, we know how devastating parking lot accidents can be—and we know how crucial compensation can be to healing and restoring lives. That’s why our experienced parking lot accident attorneys are dedicated to helping victims seek the justice and financial recovery they deserve.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in motor vehicle accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.
1: According to this data