In an effort to cut costs and take advantage of the rideshare phenomenon, in 2015, Amazon launched a new offering – Amazon Flex. Through Amazon Flex, individuals who meet the necessary requirements can sign on to become independent contractors with the program and deliver packages from warehouses to consumers’ doors.
While Amazon Flex’s “last-mile” business model can mean faster deliveries for customers and new earning opportunities for drivers, this rideshare-delivery operation can be problematic when delivery drivers are involved in accidents.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in an Amazon Flex delivery accident, you can turn to the experienced Houston car accident attorneys at the Amaro Law Firm for answers about your rights and legal options – and for exceptional advocacy in the pursuit of financial recovery and justice. Relentless, dedicated and strategic, our lawyers can help you protect your rights while we position your claim for the best possible resolution.
Hurt in an Amazon Flex Delivery Accident?
You Can Call (713) 352-7975, Text (281) 612-8024 or Email Our Firm
for Your FREE Case Evaluation
Before you speak to an insurance company, give an official statement or sign anything, let the Amaro Law Firm explain your legal options and how we can help you. Free virtual and mobile consultations are available to those who cannot visit our offices.
Background: Insurance Requirements & Coverage for Amazon Flex Drivers
To become an Amazon Flex driver, individuals must pass a criminal background check and meet various requirements, including providing proof that they carry at least the minimum auto insurance required by state law.
As of January 2016, a Texas law1 has established a new minimum for drivers who work for transportation network companies (TNCs) like Amazon Flex. According to this law, TNC drivers are required to carry at least:
- $50,000 for bodily injury
- $100,000 per accident
- $25,000 for property damage.
At this time, Amazon’s website does not feature any details regarding commercial auto insurance coverage for Flex drivers. Consequently, it is unclear whether Amazon may provide such coverage for Flex drivers.2
While this lack of transparency may indicate that Amazon-provided commercial coverage is not available for Flex drivers, it also reveals how Amazon has taken steps to insulate itself from liability related to Flex drivers.
Will the Driver’s Auto Policy Cover Amazon Flex Delivery Accidents?
This is an important question in the aftermath of an Amazon Flex delivery accident because:
- The driver’s “status” at the time of the crash can impact whether his or her personal auto insurance coverage may apply – Driver status refers to whether (or not) a driver is transporting packages for delivery while working for Amazon Flex. Personal policies can contain ambiguous language and/or complicated exclusions regarding driving for compensation. This can make it difficult to understand if or when personal coverage does or does not apply.
- Even if the personal coverage should apply, the insurer may refuse coverage – This can be a real shock to drivers and accident victims. The reality is that insurance companies commonly look for ways to limit or deny coverage for valid accident claims (usually in an effort to protect company profits). If accident victims are not aware of their rights, they may assume that they have no options for fighting back and seeking the financial recovery they deserve.
How an Attorney Can Help with an Amazon Flex Accident Claim
Given the coverage complexities that can arise after Amazon Flex accidents – and the fact that victims may only have one chance to seek compensation, the representation and guidance of an experienced lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm can be vital when it is time to:
- Determine liability and hold all at-fault parties accountable
- Figure out whether Amazon may hold some liability for the crash (If Amazon fails to properly screen drivers and ends up hiring a Flex driver who is known to be dangerous, the company may be liable for the harm caused by that unsafe driver.)
- Identify whether an insurance company has wrongfully denied coverage
- Protect the strength and value of a claim at every point moving forward.
As former insurance defense attorneys, we are highly skilled at going up against insurers, holding them accountable and helping our clients recover. Let us get you on the path to financial recovery so you can concentrate on healing and putting the Amazon Flex accident behind you.
Set Your Claim & Recovery Up for Success: Contact a Houston Car Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
A Houston car accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to provide you with extraordinary advocacy and effective representation for an Amazon Flex delivery accident claim.
Call (713) 352-7975, text (281) 612-8024 or email our firm for a FREE consultation. We can help you level the playing field with insurers, overcome the legal challenges that may lie ahead and bring your case to the best outcome possible.