As an Uber driver, you have various rights when you are behind the wheel of your vehicle. While knowing these rights is generally important to protecting them, it is absolutely vital when you are involved in a car accident. This is primarily due to the facts that, following crash:
- Knowing your Uber driver rights can help you understand the applicable insurance coverage and the options for financial recovery.
- Insurance companies can – and commonly do – take advantage of drivers who do not know their rights. Ultimately, this can prevent injured drivers from recovering any or all of the compensation they may deserve.
Uber drivers who have been hurt in traffic crashes can turn to the experienced Houston car accident attorneys at the Amaro Law Firm for answers about their rights – and for exceptional advocacy in the pursuit of financial recovery and justice. Diligent, skillful and strategic, our lawyers can help you protect your Uber driver rights while we position your claim for success and any possible recovery.
Hurt in an Uber Car Crash?
Download this Free Car Accident eBook
to Find Out How to Protect Your Rights & Claim after a Car Wreck
You Can Also Call (877) 892-2797, Text (281) 612-8024 or Email Our Firm
for Your FREE Case Evaluation
Before you speak to the insurance company, give an official statement or sign anything, let the Amaro Law Firm explain your legal options and how we can help you. Free virtual and mobile consultations are available to those who are unable to visit our offices.
Your Rights as an Uber Driver
When Uber drivers are involved in an accident and they have at least the minimum personal auto insurance coverage in Texas,1 they will have the rights to:
- Expect at least one insurer to provide coverage – Depending on the driver’s status at the time of the crash, the personal auto insurance policy and/or Uber’s insurance policy should provide coverage. For example:
- If an off-duty Uber driver causes an accident, his or her personal policy would typically provide coverage.
- If another driver causes a crash while an Uber driver is en route to pick up a rider or is transporting a rider, the other driver’s insurance provider should provide coverage. If the other driver does not have any or enough coverage, Uber’s uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) insurance can come into play.
- If an on-duty Uber driver causes an accident while transporting a rider, Uber’s policy would usually provide coverage. .
These issues regarding driver status and insurance coverage can be less clear-cut, however, when on-duty drivers are not transporting riders. Nevertheless, when an Uber driver is in a crash, (s)he will usually have the right to expect coverage from at least one insurance provider, whether that be the his or her own personal insurance provider, another motorist’s insurer or Uber’s provider (the James River Insurance Company).
- Pursue legal remedies when a liable insurer violates their right to coverage – Although auto insurance policies are legal agreements to provide coverage in the event of certain types of accidents, insurers do NOT always or necessarily honor these policies. All too often, in fact, insurers will try to leverage the circumstances to avoid or limit their liability in an effort reduce or deny payouts (and preserve their own profits). When Uber drivers have been wrongfully denied coverage and/or the compensation they deserve, they will likely have legal recourse to hold the insurer(s) accountable.
You Don’t Have to Face Insurers Alone: Contact a Houston Car Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car crash while driving for Uber, don’t hesitate to contact a Houston car accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm for experienced help with your claim and recovery.
Call (877) 892-2797, text (281) 612-8024 or email our firm for a FREE consultation.
As former insurance defense attorneys, we are highly skilled at going up against insurance companies, holding them accountable and helping our clients recover. Our attorneys are ready to aggressively advocate your rights and help you anticipate and overcome the legal challenges that may arise with your Uber accident claim.