Parking Lot Safety Tips: How to Reduce Your Risk of a Parking Lot AccidentOctober 29, 2019
Parking lot accidents hurt at least 60,000 people every year and kill more than 500 others.1 While that’s scary to consider, there’s plenty you can do to protect yourself and minimize your accident, regardless of whether you’re walking or driving through a parking lot.
To help you stay safe, here are some essential parking lot safety tips to know and follow.
Parking Lot Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Stay alert: Be aware of your surroundings, including nearby vehicles, other pedestrians, and parking lot features, like signs. Avoid using cellphones, wearing headphones, or doing anything that will divert your attention, both visual and auditory, from your surroundings. Staying alert can help you take immediate action as soon as anything unexpected or risky happens.
- Stay in a well-lit area: This can help you see all of the important visual cues around you while making sure you as visible as possible to others.
- Avoid walking between vehicles: Drivers don’t expect you to walk between vehicles, so they probably aren’t looking for you there. Even if it takes you a little longer, walk in an area where you’ll be fully visible to motorists.
- Look both ways before crossing: Also, make eye contact with motorists before crossing. When in doubt, wait for a driver to pass before you cross an aisle or crosswalk. Just because a motorist is going slow does not mean (s)he sees you or will stop for you.
- Assume that drivers do not see you: This is the best way to keep a defensive mindset and err on the side of caution at all times. Distracted drivers may be looking at you but not actually seeing you (due to a phenomenon known as inattention blindness). So, always assume that a driver doesn’t see you. It can help you avoid putting yourself in harm’s way.
Hurt in a Parking Lot Accident?
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email the Amaro Law Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Case Evaluation
Parking Lot Safety Tips for Drivers
- Pay attention: Keep your eyes on the road, and expect pedestrians to be by your vehicle. Never use your cellphone or do anything that could cause you to miss seeing pedestrians, signs, and other essential things in your environment.
- Take it slow: Always observe the posted speed limit. If there’s no posted speed limit, make sure you’re going slow, no more than 10 mph. When visibility is poor, due to poor lighting or adverse weather, for instance, take it even slower than that. Maintaining slower speeds in parking lots can give you crucial time to quickly react whenever the unexpected occurs.
- Park strategically: Park near the entrance you plan on using and make a mental note of your parking spot. This can keep the amount of walking you do in the parking lot at a minimum, reducing the potential risks you may face as a pedestrian in a parking lot.
- Look twice and use signals: Whether you’re making a turn, parking, or backing out of a parking spot, always check your blind spot and, when appropriate, use signals. If your vehicle is equipped with a backup camera, do not rely on technology alone. Cameras won’t necessarily show what’s in your blind spot, so always check twice and make your intentions perfectly clear to those around you.
- Act defensively: Whether you’re a pedestrian or a driver in a parking garage, assume that others around you won’t follow the rules. This can help you take extra precautions and be ready to react if or when others make dangerous moves.
These safety tips can be very helpful in minimizing your risk of being hurt in a parking lot accident. Unfortunately, however, they can’t eliminate the risk entirely—especially if the parking lot is inherently dangerous or others in the parking lot are acting recklessly.
Whenever you’re hurt in a parking lot accident, the best thing you can do to protect yourself and get on the road to recovery is to contact the Amaro Law Firm.
A Houston Parking Lot Accident Attorney at the Amaro Law Firm Can Help You: Contact Us
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a parking lot accident, it only takes a call or a click to learn more about your potential claim and recovery options. The Houston parking lot accident lawyers at the Amaro Law Firm are ready to help you now.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email Us
for Your FREE, Confidential, No-Obligation Consultation
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are Available
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, helping accident victims pursue the justice and recovery they deserve is our top priority. Whether you’ve been hurt by the negligence of a driver, a parking lot owner, or any other party, we’ll tirelessly advocate your rights to help you secure the justice and compensation you may deserve. The recovery from your claim can be the key to healing and rebuilding your life.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in motor vehicle accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.
1: According to these findings