Parking Lot Accidents at Big Box Stores & Other Major Shopping CentersSeptember 26, 2019
Parking lots at big box stores and major shopping centers are busy places. From drivers and shoppers moving about to delivery trucks, empty carts, and more, a lot is going on—and there’s a lot that can go wrong.
Whenever parking lots become accident scenes, here’s what you need to know and do. These tips can help you protect yourself and possibly a future claim.
What to Do After a Parking Lot Accident at Retail Store or Center: 10 Steps to Take
If you’re involved in a parking lot accident:
- Immediately check for serious injuries, and call 911 if anyone has been severely hurt or needs medical attention.
- Move out of the way of traffic. If your vehicle is stuck in the path of traffic, activate your hazard lights, and sit in a safe area to complete the next steps.
- Call a non-emergency police number if there’s property damage, so there’s a police report for the incident. Ask how and when you can get access to a copy of the report.
- Report the crash to a security guard if there’s one on duty. Again, ask how and when you can get a copy of any report.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, as well as visible damage and injuries. Include damage to vehicles, surrounding features (like planters or signage), and other personal items (like eyeglasses).
- Note accident details, like the day and time of the incident, the weather, and any distinctive features of the scene, like potholes, slick blacktop, or broken lighting.
- Collect names and contact information from the other involved parties and any witnesses. For those involved in the accident, also exchange insurance, and get driver’s license and vehicle information from any involved motorists.
- Note the parking lot owner and contact information if that’s posted in the lot.
- Report the accident to your insurance company, and only disclose the facts of the accident that you’re 100% sure about. Don’t agree to give an “official, meaning recorded statement if you’re not ready to.
- Contact a Houston parking lot attorney at the Amaro Law Firm for help protecting your rights.
Hurt in a Parking Lot Accident?
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email the Amaro Law Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Case Evaluation
Free virtual and mobile consultations are available. The Amaro Law Firm proudly represents pedestrians, drivers, families, and others in all types of parking lot accident cases.
How to Avoid Parking Lot Accidents: 5 Helpful Tips
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Always obey posted signage and general rules of the road when navigating parking lots.
- Expect that other pedestrians and/or drivers do not see you and won’t yield to you.
- If you’re a pedestrian, always make eye contact with a driver before proceeding, and stay in well-lit areas that are designated for pedestrians (whenever available).
- If you’re a driver, don’t use your phone, always check your blind spots, don’t cut through lanes, and take it especially slow in parking lots.
No matter how careful you are, you can’t control others. Sometimes, that can result in parking lot accidents. When it does and you or a loved one is hurt, it’s time to contact the Amaro Law Firm. We’re here for you, ready to help.
Protect Your Claim & Your Rights to Recovery: Contact a Houston Parking Lot Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a parking lot crash, our top-rated Houston parking lot accident lawyers are ready to partner with you in the pursuit of recovery and justice.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email Us for Your FREE Consultation
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are Available
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, our attorneys advocate tirelessly for accident victims. We’re devoted to helping people navigate the claim and recovery process so they can focus on healing and rebuilding their lives.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in motor vehicle accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.