Diagnosed With Mesothelioma? How to Figure Our Your Legal Options for Financial RecoveryAugust 24, 2017
When asbestos exposure results in a mesothelioma diagnosis, you may have legal options for financial recovery. While an attorney at the Amaro Law Firm can explain more about your options, after reviewing your circumstances, the following uncovers the issues to consider when it’s time to move forward with a potential mesothelioma claim.
If You Have Been Diagnosed with Mesothelioma
Call (713) 352-7975, Text (281) 612-8024, or Contact Our Firm
for a Free Case Evaluation
Free virtual and mobile consultations are also available if you are unable to visit our offices.
Determining Your Legal Options for Pursuing a Mesothelioma Claims: 3 Questions to Answer
- How were you exposed to asbestos? – Mesothelioma claims are generally personal injury claims. The nature of the personal injury case, however, will hinge on the point of asbestos exposure. For example:
- Work-related asbestos could make you eligible for a workers’ compensation claim. Construction workers, power plant workers, and veterans of the military are among those commonly exposed to asbestos via work. It’s also possible for these workers to have asbestos fibers on their clothing, after they leave work, exposing family members to asbestos (secondary asbestos exposure, which can also cause mesothelioma).
- Asbestos exposure via a product may be grounds for a product liability claim. Flooring materials, fire retardant gear, and roofing materials are just some of the products that commonly contain asbestos.
- If a specific place (other than work) has been the route of asbestos exposure, you may have a premises liability claim. Older buildings and older homes can contain asbestos.
- Trust funds have also been set up to compensate those who have been exposed to asbestos (and developed mesothelioma) via work or use of certain products.
- How long were you exposed to asbestos? – The duration of asbestos exposure can play a role in the nature and severity of the mesothelioma that develops. This factor can impact the nature of damages available for a given claim. For instance, longer periods of asbestos exposure can result in more severe mesothelioma cases, which could be associated with damages like (but not limited to) compensation for:
- Hospital stays, surgery, radiation/chemotherapy, and other treatment needs
- Palliative care, such as hospice stay
- Lost earnings
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial costs (for families who lose a loved one to mesothelioma).
- What impacts have resulted from the asbestos exposure and resulting mesothelioma? – People with mesothelioma may be able to pursue one or more of the above claims, based on the answers to the above questions. When mesothelioma has deadly outcomes, families may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim.
The Amaro Law Firm can help you answer these – and any other – questions regarding your potential mesothelioma claim.
Find Out More About Your Rights & Legal Options: Contact a Mesothelioma Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
A mesothelioma lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to explain your legal options for pursuing a mesothelioma claim.
Call (713) 352-7975, Text (281) 612-8024, or Contact Our Firm for a Free Case Evaluation.
Compassionate and experienced, our attorneys are dedicated to helping mesothelioma patients obtain the justice and financial recoveries they deserve. In mesothelioma claims, we provide the highest quality legal representation to clients from across the U.S.