How to Get a Car Accident Report from Police: 2 Steps to TakeFebruary 11, 2020
In Texas, here’s how to get a copy of the official police report for a car crash:
- Collect key identifying information about the crash.
- Request a copy of the report:
- Online via the TxDOT Crash Report Online Purchase System.
- By mail, completing Form CR-91 and mailing it with payment to the address on the form.
Step 1: Collect Key Identifying Information About the Crash.
Just one piece of this information can help you identify the wreck so you can get the associated police report:
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) of any vehicle involved in the crash
- The driver’s license number or identification card number of any individual involved in the crash
- The name of a person or company involved in the accident.
Step 2: Request a Copy of the Report Online or Via Mail.
To request a copy of the police report for a crash online:
- Navigate to the TxDOT Crash Report Online Purchase System.
- Follow the step-by-step directions on each screen, which starts by clicking the orange “Search” button in the lower left-hand corner.
- Once you enter in crash-specific information and find your crash in the system, you can purchase the report for a nominal fee ($6 to $8, with the higher fee being for certified copies, which are necessary for official reasons, like court).
It can take up to 14 days from the crash date for a crash to show up in the TxDOT system, and this system will retain records for 10 years after the crash.
Mail requests for police car accident reports involve these steps:
- Complete Form CR-91, Request a Copy of a Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report.
- Mail the form, with the required payment, to the proper address on the form (choose the correct address, based on your location).
- Wait at least a week or two for the report to come by mail.
A Houston Car Accident Attorney at the Amaro Law Firm Can Help You: Contact Us
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car accident, it only takes a call or a click to learn more about your potential claim and recovery options. The Houston car accident lawyers at the Amaro Law Firm are ready to help you now.
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are Available
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, helping accident victims pursue the justice and recovery they deserve is our top priority. Whether you’ve been hurt by the negligence of a driver or any other party, we’ll tirelessly advocate your rights to help you secure the justice and compensation you may deserve. The recovery from your claim can be the key to healing and rebuilding your life.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in motor vehicle accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.