How to Find a Car Accident Lawyer in Sugar Land, TXJuly 29, 2020
Ask These Questions to Find the Best Sugar Land Car Accident Attorney for Your Case
At least 26 car accidents happen every day in Fort Bend County, Texas—and more than 1 in 7 of those occurs in Sugar Land. That’s according to the latest findings from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), which also reports that across the state of Texas:
- 1 person is killed in a deadly wreck every 2.5 hours
- 1 person is hurt in a car crash every 2 minutes
- 1 reportable motor vehicle accident occurs every 58 seconds
Regardless of where or when a car accident occurs in Sugar Land, it only takes one serious wreck to change your life forever. When that happens, the right attorney can make all the difference in your case, your recovery, and your future.
10 Questions to Choose the Best Car Accident Lawyer “Near Me” in Sugar Land, TX
Who’s the best car accident lawyer for your case?
The most effective way to find the right attorney to set your claim up for success is to talk to some top local lawyers and ask these questions. A free initial consultation is an ideal time to pose these questions to lawyers and figure out who the best option for your case is.
1. What are my legal options for financial recovery?
Once you explain the circumstances of your accident, an experienced lawyer should be able to tell you:
- Whether you have a case: Keep in mind that, even if you may have been partly at fault for the wreck, you still could be entitled to compensation under Texas law (as long as you were no more than 50% at fault for the crash).
- The potential legal remedies for your claim: You may have more than one option for seeking financial recovery, and a good attorney will be able to point out all possible options, which can help you pursue the full compensation you may deserve.
2. How much is my case worth & how long will it take to resolve?
A good Sugar Land car accident lawyer should be able to give you approximate the value of your case while explaining the general process for resolving it.
These answers may not be concrete, as an attorney will usually need to conduct his or her own investigation to determine case value and how to best resolve the claim. The answers you do get, however, can provide more clarity about your claim and a lawyer’s experience.
3. What is your experience with car accident cases like mine?
When you need a car accident attorney in Sugar Land, you don’t just want a lawyer who takes on auto wreck cases. You also want an attorney who specifically handles claims that involve crashes and circumstances like yours.
Additionally, it can also be crucial for a lawyer to have related experience, like experience with auto defect claims or commercial truck accident claims.
Attorneys who have experience with claims similar to yours will know:
- How to anticipate and overcome the potential challenges with cases like yours
- The most effective evidence, strategies, and arguments to position your case for success
4. What is your record of success with cases like mine?
A good attorney will be ready to tell you about his or her wins in similar cases. As you listen to this answer, keep your ears open for details related to:
- The settlement or award amounts: Ask about the specific damages included in the total compensation, like damages for past and future medical bills and/or lost earnings.
- What the lawyer may have done to help injured people retain as much compensation as possible: For example, was the attorney able to negotiate a fair settlement early on to avoid trial costs and risks? Did the lawyer work with medical providers to get the cost of medical bills reduced? These value-added services can be just as important as a record of success.
5. Who will be overseeing my case?
Make sure an experienced attorney will be handling your case from day one through the end of your claim. If your case will be passed off to an inexperienced lawyer—or a non-attorney staff member at the law firm—think twice about retaining that attorney or firm.
Passing off cases to lesser experienced staff can create more challenges in the future. Plus, it may suggest that your claim simply isn’t a priority for a particular firm. That can speak volumes about the quality of service and representation you may expect moving forward.
6. How will you keep me informed about my case?
Will you get regular updates about the status and progress of your claim? How and when can you expect these updates? Who will share them with you?
You want a Sugar Land car accident attorney who has clear answers to these questions, so you can be confident that you’ll never be left in the dark about your case or your options.
7. What type of response can I expect when I contact you with questions?
When you call or email your attorney with questions about your case, you want to be able to get answers promptly. So, be sure to listen for details regarding how soon you will get a response and who you can expect to hear from.
8. What will you do to get my case started?
Generally, most car accident cases will start with some type of investigation by the law firm. The details of your potential claim will usually impact the best ways to kick off the investigation and start compiling key evidence. So, pay attention to both the actions a lawyer plans to take and when (s)he plans on taking them.
You don’t want to retain an attorney who will shelf your case for weeks or months. Not only will that run down the amount of time you have to pursue your claim, but it may also compromise the strength of your case (as evidence can become more elusive or unavailable as more time passes after an accident).
9. How do you charge for your services?
Good Sugar Land car accident lawyers work on contingency. That means there will be no charges for their services until or unless compensation is secured for your claim.
Do not retain an attorney who charges you upfront or who will make you pay if no compensation is secured for your claim.
10. Why should I hire you instead of other Sugar Land car accident attorneys who I’m considering?
A skilled attorney will have a strong, convincing answer to this question. If you are considering other local attorneys, specifically ask about those lawyers by name.
It may even be helpful to ask for some references you can contact. Even if you never plan on contacting them, the response an attorney has to this request can be very telling about his or her reputation, as well as the quality of his or her representation.
Searching for a Car Accident Lawyer “Near Me” in Sugar Land, Texas? 3 More Tips
- Check out online reviews to see if former clients echo the things lawyers say about their service during a consultation.
- Bring any items or evidence related to your crash to your meeting with an attorney. This can include accident scene photos, a copy of the police car accident report, doctors’ bills, and more.
- Trust your instincts. Don’t select an attorney who you don’t trust or feel 100% confident in.
If time is of the essence and you want to talk to a 5-star Sugar Land car accident lawyer now, simply contact the Amaro Law Firm.
We have a long-standing record of working tirelessly for our clients and securing successful resolutions in an array of car accident cases.