How Medical Treatment Can Impact Your Personal Injury CaseFebruary 19, 2019
You can’t always prevent accidents and injuries, especially whenever other parties act negligently, carelessly, and recklessly. After an accident and injuries, however, you can take action to protect yourself and a future claim for recovery. One effective way to do this is by seeking immediate medical treatment and following through with all prescribed treatments and doctors’ orders.
This is crucial for two reasons:
- Medical treatment can lead to better prognoses and faster recoveries. It can also prevent serious health complications and save lives.
- Medical treatment can crucially impact the strength – and potentially the success – of a future personal injury case.
Medical Treatment & Personal Injury Claims: What You MUST Know about Gaps
The primary reason that medical treatment plays such a crucial role in personal injury cases is that it can create documentation, witnesses, and other evidence regarding:
- The severity and extent of your injuries immediately after the accident
- The degree to which you have healed over time
- The long-term prognosis and the nature of the ongoing medical care you will need.
If medical treatment is delayed or interrupted, it can create challenges or issues for a future personal injury case. Here, it’s important to point out that medical treatment delays or interruptions specifically refer to a gap between:
- The accident and receiving initial treatments thereafter
- Follow-up procedures, doctors’ appointments, or any prescribed care.
Have You Been Hurt by Another’s Negligence?
Call (877) 892-2797 or Email Our Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No Obligation Case Evaluation
The main problems arising from gaps in medical treatment can include (and are not limited to):
- Less evidence proving the nature and severity of your injuries and/or establishing your needs for ongoing medical care
- Opportunities for insurers and/or others to argue that some event other than (and after) the accident caused your injuries
- Allegations that you have exaggerated or faked your injuries.
Ultimately, that can mean an uphill battle in getting the full compensation that you may deserve for your past and future medical bills, as well as your pain and suffering.
How to Mind the Gaps in Medical Treatment & Protect Your Claim: 6 Essential Tips
- Get medical treatment as soon as possible after an accident.
- If there is a good reason why you were not able to get immediate medical attention, keep records of the reason. Also, keep any documentation you may have related to that reason.
- After seeing a doctor, follow through with all prescribed treatments.
- Comply with all doctors’ orders.
- Keep every document, diagnostic test result, bill, email, treatment plan, etc. that you receive as part of your medical treatment.
- Contact an attorney at the Amaro Law Firm for help crafting the strongest possible case and positioning it for the maximum recovery available.
At the Amaro Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping accident survivors and families obtain the compensation they deserve for the harm they’ve suffered due to others’ negligence. We fully understand that money cannot erase the damage from serious accidents and injuries. We also know how the compensation from personal injury claims can restore their lives.
Protect the Strength, Value & Success of Your Claim: Contact a Houston Personal Injury Attorney at the Amaro Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been harmed by another party’s negligent or reckless actions, a Houston personal injury attorney at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to partner with you, aggressively advocating your rights in the pursuit of recovery and justice.
Call (877) 892-2797 or Email Us for your FREE Consultation.
During your FREE consultation, we will listen, answer your questions, and explain your legal options. Free virtual and mobile consultations are available to anyone who cannot visit our offices.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of success and exceptional advocacy in various type of personal injury cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook , the top rating on Avvo, and glowing testimonials from former clients.