E-Scooter Lawsuits: Important Information for Victims of Electric Scooter AccidentsApril 2, 2019
E-scooters are popular in many major cities across the U.S. Offering a cheap, easy, eco-friendly way to get around, e-scooters also pose some serious risks to riders. In fact, reports of e-scooter accidents and injuries have been mounting across the nation.
While e-scooter companies make riders sign user agreements stipulating that riders are solely responsible for any accidents, this does NOT necessarily mean that these companies can shirk liability for the harm caused by their scooters.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in any type of e-scooter accident, here are some important answers to commonly asked questions about e-scooter lawsuits. Whenever you’re ready for answers and advice specific to your situation, contact the Amaro Law Firm.
Have You or a Loved One Been Hurt in an E-Scooter Accident or Any Type of Crash?
Call (713) 352-7975 or Contact Our Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No Obligation Case Evaluation
During your FREE consultation, we will listen, answer your questions, and explain your legal options. Free virtual and mobile consultations are available to anyone who cannot visit our offices.
Who Can File an E-Scooter Lawsuit?
You may have the legal right to file a lawsuit if you were hurt in an e-scooter accident caused by:
- Another motorist’s negligence – If a distracted, drunk, or otherwise reckless driver hits an e-scooter rider, that driver will be liable for the crash. When crashes involve Uber drivers or multiple parties, the resulting cases can be more complicated.
- Malfunctioning e-scooter parts – Brake failures, battery fires, sticky accelerators, and throttle problems are just some of the equipment failures that have plagued e-scooters. When any faulty part contributes to an e-scooter accident, the rental company – and possibly others, like the part manufacturer and the service contractor – can be liable.
- An e-scooter rider – In some cases, riders themselves may cause the accidents that injure others, like pedestrians. When this occurs, pedestrians can have a case against the negligent rider.
In the aftermath of an e-scooter accident, it can be difficult to know who’s at fault and whether multiple parties may be liable. Generally, making these determinations requires additional investigations. This is where the help of an experienced e-scooter accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm can be invaluable. Our assistance and representation can also be pivotal to setting an e-scooter accident lawsuit up for success.
What Type of Evidence Is Helpful to E-Scooter Cases?
The best evidence for an e-scooter claim will depend on the specifics of the accident associated with the case. Generally, however, some evidence that can be useful in e-scooter lawsuits includes:
- The scooter that was involved
- Accident scene photos
- Witness statements
- Cellphone records
- Police reports
- Medical records and doctors’ reports.
How Soon Does an E-Scooter Claim Have to Be Filed?
In Texas, you have two years from the date of the accident – or the date on which the injuries from the accident were discovered – to file a case. Once that time frame passes, the claim will usually become invalid.
In most cases, it’s best to file an e-scooter lawsuit as soon as possible, rather than waiting months or longer to proceed. Over time, evidence can get lost, damaged, or become unavailable, which can reduce the strength and value of a case.
What Type of Compensation Is Available for E-Scooter Accident Lawsuits?
When e-scooter accident cases are successfully resolved for victims, the financial recoveries can include compensation for losses like (but not limited to):
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost wages
- Permanent disabilities
- Damaged property
- Pain and suffering.
Depending on the circumstances, punitive damages may also be available.
How Can I Get My E-Scooter Lawsuit Started?
Contact an e-scooter accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm for a free, confidential, zero-obligation consultation. We are ready to:
- Evaluate your potential claim, share helpful advice, and explain your options
- Provide you with exceptional advocacy, support, and representation moving forward
- Work relentlessly to bring your case to a successful resolution.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Contact Us for your FREE Consultation.
Dedicated to helping accident victims recover, our experienced dangerous products & motor vehicle accident lawyers have the skills and insight to:
- Build and present the strongest possible claim
- Hold any and all negligent parties accountable
- Set your case up for any possible recovery.
While we are fully aware that compensation can never erase the damage from e-scooter accidents, we also know how recoveries from these cases can help survivors rebuild their lives.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of outstanding representation and success (in accident, and product liability claims) is affirmed by our 5-star ratings on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.