Damage & Losses from Recent Odessa Hail Storm May Be “Most Expensive in Odessa’s History,” Insurers SayJune 29, 2017
What You NEED to Know If You’re Filing a Claim
About 19,000 homes and businesses were left without power at about 7 p.m. this past Wednesday as baseball-sized hail and intense thunderstorms pounded Odessa and the Permian Basin. The scope of the losses and damage, however, extends far beyond power loss, with broken car and building windows, badly dented vehicles, destroyed homes and more. As much as 24 hours after the storm passed, some of Odessa’s streets were still littered with debris and wreckage.
While individuals and families are now picking up the pieces, so too are various businesses – including car dealerships and retail stores – that have reportedly sustained millions of dollars in damage. In some cases, the losses caused by this damage may still be unknown, particularly if the physical property damage shuts down businesses and will halt operations for some time.
“[The recent storm] could be the most expensive in Odessa’s history…The sheer size and intensity of the storm. We’re going to see a lot of damage,” Chris Wray of State Farm Insurance told local CBS news.
If you are among the many who suffered damage and losses in the recent hail and thunderstorms, here are some tips to keep in mind as you proceed with a hail damage claim. These tips can help you protect your rights and the value of your claim.
7 Helpful Tips for Filing a Hail Damage Claim
- Take extensive pictures of the damage. If possible, try to gather pre-damage photos.
- Locate and review your insurance policy. It can enlighten you to important details regarding deductibles, claim deadlines and more.
- Plan to be present during the insurance adjuster’s inspection. If the inspection has been set for a day or time when you are not available, politely request that it be rescheduled for a time when you will be available.
- Take notes during the inspection. Record details about how the adjuster conducted the inspection, like how long the inspection lasted, whether (s)he got on the roof or close to any other damaged area(s), what (s)he tells you during the inspection, etc.
- Look for local, reputable contractors. Avoid “traveling” contractors that don’t have a fixed address. Here are some more essential tips for avoiding roofing and contractor scams after storms.
- Carefully review the adjuster’s damage repair estimate. Make sure it covers all of the damage, with adequate compensation allotted for the scope of work needed. Don’t automatically assume that the estimate will be fair or sufficient.
- Contact the Amaro Law Firm when you want to be confident that your hail damage claim is positioned for a successful outcome. Our lawyers have extensive experience representing individuals and businesses in various types of hail damage claims. With previous experience working in insurance defense, we know the tactics insurance companies and their adjusters use to try to avoid paying claims – and we know how to combat those tactics to get our clients the payouts they deserve.
Get Helpful Advice for Your Claim: Contact a Hail Damage Claim Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
Initial consultations are free. If you are unable to visit our office, we offer virtual consultations, and we can travel to your location. From offices throughout Texas, we represent clients from across the U.S. in hail damage claims.