Parking lots are designed to have the maximum number of parking spaces and promote the safe flow of traffic. While that may sound straightforward, a lot goes in to designing safe parking lots. Whenever a critical consideration is overlooked—or corners are cut, parking lots can become very dangerous places.
At the Amaro Law Firm, we know how poorly designed parking lots can contribute to crashes, injuries, and deaths. We also know how to help parking lot accident victims find out who’s at fault and hold them accountable.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a parking lot crash, don’t hesitate to contact us to discover more about your legal rights and options. Contacting us can be the first crucial step on the road to justice and recovery.
Hurt in a Poorly Designed Parking Lot?
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email the Amaro Law Firm
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Case Evaluation
What Makes a Parking Lot Poorly Designed?
Beyond simply making space for drivers to park and traffic to flow, a safely designed parking lot needs to make it obvious and easy for all types of vehicles and pedestrians to move through it, at any given point.
A poorly designed parking lot will make it difficult for vehicles and pedestrians to safely pass through it. That may be because the lot is too cramped or overly complicated. Specifically, a poorly designed parking lot may be characterized by features like (but not limited to):
- Unclear or risky traffic circulation routes
- Aisles or spots that are too narrow or dangerously angled
- Insufficient lighting or lighting that’s blocked by landscaping
- Poorly placed crosswalks or inadequate pedestrian crossing areas
- Insufficient or poorly placed handicapped spaces
- Poorly placed (or no) ADA-accessible routes to public transportation
- Poor access or insufficient turn radius for emergency vehicles
- Driveways that are narrow, are difficult to access, or are located too close to an intersection
- Wide-open spaces with no speed deterrents
- Lack of speed bumps
Any of these features can make a parking lot dangerous for drivers and pedestrians, sharply increasing the risk of accidents.
How Can Poorly Designed Parking Lots Cause Accidents?
Poorly designed parking lots create all sorts of perils for anyone who enters them. These can include:
- Blind spots
- Poor visibility
- Unexpected traffic
- And more
These dangers can contribute to crashes when factors like (but not limited to) the following are also at play:
- Motorists are speeding, distracted, or otherwise behaving recklessly behind the wheel.
- Pedestrians are not paying attention.
- Adverse weather makes for slick pavement conditions.
- Night or adverse weather reduces visibility.
- Shopping season means there are far more vehicles and shoppers in the parking lot.
Who’s Responsible for Poorly Designed Parking Lots?
Multiple parties can be responsible for the poor design of parking lots, as well as the harm their poor design causes. Some of these parties can include (and are not limited to):
- Property owners
- Property managers
- Construction companies.
The best way to determine whether poor parking lot design contributed to your accident—and who’s liable for it—is to contact the Amaro Law Firm.
How You Can Recover from a Parking Lot Accident: Contact the Amaro Law Firm
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a parking lot accident, you may have various options for holding the at-fault parties accountable and seeking compensation for your injuries and losses. The top-rated Houston parking lot accident lawyers at the Amaro Law Firm are ready to explain your legal options for seeking justice and financial recovery.
Call (713) 352-7975 or Email Us for Your FREE Consultation
Free Virtual & Mobile Consultations Are Available
If You Can’t Visit Our Offices
At the Amaro Law Firm, our attorneys are dedicated to helping accident victims navigate the claim and recovery process so they can focus on healing. We understand that money can’t reverse the past and undo the damage caused by parking lot accidents—and we also know how the recoveries from these cases can be pivotal to restoring lives.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of excellence and success in motor vehicle accident cases has earned us a 5-star rating on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.