5 Key Steps to Take after a Serious Car AccidentAugust 21, 2018
After a bad car wreck, the things you do and don’t do can greatly impact a future claim and your recovery options. To help you take the right steps, here’s a rundown of the top five things to do after a car crash.
- Call police & seek medical attention – Police can be incredibly helpful after a bad crash. They can manage and investigate the scene, helping the injured get immediate medical care, redirecting traffic and collecting important evidence. They can also write up official reports that may be crucial to fault findings. Like police, emergency medical technicians and doctors can be essential after a serious accident. They can provide life-saving treatment while documenting the nature of the injuries suffered.
- Gather information & evidence – Collect the names, contact information, driver/vehicle information and insurance information from each party involved in the accident. If there are any witnesses, get their name(s) and contact information as well. Other evidence you can gather from the site includes:
- Debris – This can include anything from shredded tires to parts of damaged personal items that were in the vehicle.
- Photographs – Take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to your car and the damage to other vehicles. Also, take pictures of the road conditions, damaged roadway features and the weather conditions.
Hurt in a Car Wreck?
Download this Free eBook on How to Protect a Car Crash Claim or
Contact Us for a Free, No Obligations Consultation
- Do not admit fault, only talk about the facts – What you say after a crash can be documented in police reports and used to determine fault for the crash. Never acknowledge fault – not to the police, the others involved in the crash, any witnesses or the insurance company. Also, never apologize for the crash because that can be leveraged as an admission of fault. Only talk about the facts of the crash that you are sure of.
- Report the accident to your insurer – Contact your auto insurance provider as soon as possible after the crash. Delaying this report by a week or more can complicate a claim. When you make this report to your insurer, be aware that the agent may ask you for an official, (meaning a recorded) statement. Do not provide this if you are not ready to only discuss the facts of the crash.
- Contact a car accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm – After a bad wreck, you need an ally and advocate who can assess your situation, layout your legal options and share insights on how to pursue the full compensation you may deserve. You need an attorney at the Amaro Law Firm. Strategic, relentless and dedicated, our lawyers are exceptionally skilled at helping car accident survivors and families successfully navigate the claims process. We know how important claims and compensation can be to helping the injured recover – that’s why we won’t rest until we help our clients achieve the compensation, outcomes and justice they deserve.
A Houston Car Accident Attorney at the Amaro Law Firm Can Help You after a Bad Wreck: Contact Us
A car accident attorney at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to discuss your potential claim, explain your legal options and help you successfully navigate the road to recovery.
Call (877) 892-2797, or email our firm for a free consultation.
During your FREE consultation, we will answer your questions and explain how to proceed. Free mobile and virtual consultations are available to those who cannot visit our offices.
When you partner with the Amaro Law Firm, you can count on having superior advocacy, personal service and diligence in pursing the maximum financial recovery available. While money may never undo the permanent damage from a bad wreck, these financial recoveries can help restore lives.