18-Wheeler Accidents: What Happens Right after the Truck WreckJuly 30, 2019
What takes place immediately after a truck accident can greatly impact victims’ ability to seek compensation for their injuries and losses. Here’s why and what you need to know if you or a loved one has been hurt in any type of 18-wheeler wreck, whether you are the truck driver hurt by another driver or a passenger vehicle occupant hurt by a truck.
After a Truck Wreck: An Investigation Occurs
Police and the insurance company’s investigators who respond to the scene of a truck crash will gather evidence, take pictures, and interview witnesses as part of their investigation.
They will also:
· Determine who was at fault for the wreck: These determinations may place blame on any of the involved motorists. In some cases, there may be no official determination of fault; in others, the fault determinations may not be wholly accurate because of evidence limitations.
· Write up an official accident report: This report will detail everything from the time, date, and exact location of the truck accident to the statements made by all parties after the wreck, witness names and statements, and much more. As such, police accident reports can be incredibly useful to 18-wheeler accident cases.
Depending on the nature of the 18-wheeler accident, other parties, like federal authorities, may also investigate the incident.
After a Truck Accident: The Motor Carrier Goes Into ‘Defense’ Mode
The trucking company will typically carry out its own investigation, gathering evidence and information, inspecting the wreckage, and more. They do this to try to avoid liability. In some cases, that can mean that motor carriers take steps like:
· Looking for evidence that can put the fault on any party other than themselves
· Sanitizing the interior of the cab
· Manipulating or destroying evidence like lighting, decals, tires, ECM data, etc.
Consequently, sending motor carriers a spoliation letter or a preservation of evidence letter can be crucial to ensure future access to key evidence, like (but not limited to):
· Trucker log books
· Data from onboard electronic recorders
· Motor carrier records regarding a trucker’s driving history, vehicle inspections and maintenance, bills of laden, and more.
Have You or a Loved One Been Hurt in a Truck Wreck?
Call (877) 892-2797 or Contact the Amaro Law Firm
for a Free, No Obligation Consultation
After a Truck Wreck: 4 Steps You Should Take to Protect Your Rights & a Future Claim
When 18-wheeler accidents happen, what you do and don’t do in the aftermath can greatly impact the strength and value of a future claim. To help you protect your rights and a future case, here are the most important steps to take:
1. Get medical treatment and follow through will all prescribed treatments.
2. Keep everything, from accident scene photos and medical bills to police reports, correspondence from the insurance company, and anything else you have related to the accident.
3. Never admit blame or fault, and never apologize to anyone about the accident. If you do speak about the accident, only discuss the facts of the wreck that you are 100% certain about.
4. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible. A truck wreck attorney can be an essential advocate for you, overseeing your claim and financial recovery while you focus on your physical and mental recovery.
Set Your Truck Wreck Claim Up for Success: Contact the Amaro Law Firm
A Texas truck wreck lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to get you on the road to justice and financial recovery if you or a loved one has been hurt in any type of 18-wheeler accident.
Call (877) 892-2797 or Email our Firm for Your FREE, No Obligation Consultation
We are ready to provide you with the advice and information you need to set your potential claim up for success. Experienced, strategic, and tireless, our attorneys will vigorously protect your rights and fight to help you bring your truck accident case to the best possible resolution.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of outstanding advocacy and success in truck wreck cases has earned us a 5-star rating onand , as well as a .